Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Lots of Monkeys, Jumping On My Bed

My Pajama Storytime went alright last night. We got a large crowd, though not as overwhelming as last week (when we ran out of chairs for little and big people!). This program is popular...though I'm not sure why. If I was a parent, I'd run the other way. It's a loud and unruly 25 minutes, and it probably doesn't enrich anyone's preliteracy skills!

I've learned to choose books that are sure-fire hits--and to pitch it young, despite the median age probably being 3.5. Anything with too much of a narrative, or more than 12 pages of actual text, or a moral, or subtlety--well, that would require me to slip the kids a sedative-spiked juice. So last night we read Leonardo (the first time I've pulled that out in a long while!) and Peek-a-Zoo! and My Nose, Your Nose and Five Little Monkeys Jumping On the Bed (Christelow's).

We also jammed to the Wiggleworms "Clap Your Hands," and acted out "Peas Porridge Hot," and did "Wiggle Fingers" and "Head & Shoulders" with scarves.

I end every session with turning off the lights in the Storytime Room--except for the pretty, ornamental ones--and singing "Twinkle, Twinkle." It's a show-stopper.

No comments: