Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Miss Genevieve's First Storytime!


And I survived!


I went with kind of a half monster theme and used my homemade monster dolls as props, which I think the kids dug.
Read: My Monster Mama Loves Me So (which a parent came up afterwards to get the name of), Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Tickle the Duck, Pig in the Pond (big book) and Dinosaur vs Bedtime.
Songs: Wiggleworms-style Good Morning to you song (sang it, not the CD) and ended with "Good morning to the monsters!", pulling them out from behind me, which the kids seemed to like. Also, 2 Little Monsters (Blackbirds), 5 Ugly Monsters Jumping on the Bed, If You're Happy and You Know It (monster stuff like gnash your teeth, wiggle your horns...) and closed with Ralph Covert's "Driving in My Car."
We had a good turnout despite the snow and *I think* the kids all dug it! They were a pretty sedate bunch, but at least their parents applauded a bit :) The monster stories seemed to be the most popular; I don't think they really "got" Dinosaur, which bummed me out a bit. They definitely liked when I tossed the monsters to bump them on the head and most wanted to pet / cuddle the monsters at the end when they came up for stickers.
Nice little adrenalin rush and it felt natural, not nerve-racking, so, yay!

No comments: