Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Actually Written by Miss Rory, Posing Shamelessly As Miss Lori


My Wonderful Ones were kind of exhausting this morning. Lots of running laps, too many weary nannies, and several cases of the grabbies (when kids just want to take anything that's in my hand out of my hand) but we prevailed.

I think some of the grown-ups have been in other storytimes where they don't have to sit on the ground, and they're sort of rebelling by pulling up the bigger chairs. I do not condone this, but with such a large group it's hard to convince them it'll be easier for everyone if they "find a spot and squat," as my step-mom used to so elegantly say. Besides, a couple of these grown-ups are pregnant or grandmotherly.

I read George's Book! and that went over well, though I abridged several middle pages. The kids almost laughed when I put the book on my head like a hat--and almost laughing is exactly like laughing for one-year-olds.

We tried another read-along with Elmo's SO Big, or whatever it's called. The book has a bit too much text so it was a pretty wobbly few minutes. The kids do love the end, when Elmo pops right out.

I had better luck with Lori's octopus puppet--I wiggled it around and most of the kids waved back. I sang "This is the way we wash our hair/bellies/backs...on a Tuesday morning" and then used one of its tentacles to brush my teeth. More almost-laffs.

BTW, I need some suggestions of new stuff to do with the shakers...the Milkshake Song is getting dusty.

1 comment:

Miss Lori said...

I like to use the shakers for the rhyme, Grandma, Grandma, you look sick, I think you need a peppermint stick. Hands up, shake shake shake (with shakers). Hands down, shake shake shake. All around shake shake shake, put them down.