Monday, December 7, 2009

O Tannenbook


I'm wondering...does anyone have any favorite Christmas or holiday books? Books that you might not be able to read in a public library storytime but you love to read to your own kids or give them as gifts or just love seeing on a display because you know some child is going to love it?

I've always loved the belated Christmas chapter in Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter, but that doesn't really count as a holiday book. The Polar Express creeps me out. There are some great Nutcrackers out there but none spring to mind on their own. I did love The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, but again that's a chapter book. Any wonderful picturebooks out there I shouldn't miss?

Oh, yeah! I love this version of The Gift of the Magi.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Hmm. I don't have many picture book Christmas favorites. Only one I can think of is a Little Golden Book from when I was little - Biggest, Most Beautiful Christmas Tree. Dear Santa: The Letters of James B Dobbins is cute. Otherwise, it's chapter books - Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman, Noelle of the Nutcracker - or chapters of chapter books - Anne getting her brown dress, Betsy's Christmas in Milwaukee - that I love to share.

Jenny Byron said...

I don't remember reading Christmas stories as a child but I always read "Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins" in book buzz every year. Any book with a King of the Goblins is great! Afterwards we play the Dreidle game with pennies.

Jennifer N. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.