Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Intriguing Question of the Week

Should we start a circulating J video game collection? YA is going to be the guinea pig first, but eventually we might be next in line. Problems? Concerns? Cool ideas? Best formats? I think Wii games are still hot right now, but who knows?

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I vote yes. I think starting small by getting a handful of popular titles for the most common systems and seeing what circs and gets comments would be good. Yeah, there are problems - high cost, high theft, keeping them in good shape, etc - but I do get asked about them and think there would be a demand.

Rory said...

I started a video game collection at my last library and it was pretty exciting, but frustrating, too. And I don't remember theft being an issue, even! It was just that so many of the most popular titles are rated T and up and we didn't feel alright getting those. So we had a lot of titles that didn't get a lot of attention, despite our effort to research and survey kids. Of course, this was before the Wii and a surge of family-friend cutesy games...

Danny said...

I'm somewhat skeptical about adding video games to the collection. A couple concerns:
Do we have any idea what our patrons would want? To my knowledge there are three main systems (PS3, XBOX360 and Wii)--and it's not exactly a stagnant industry. I feel like the Wii is the most kid-friendly but I have no idea weather this is true or not.
I'd expect the circulation/condition/theft rate for these games to be on par with, if not exceeding our most popular DVDs. Are we (and our patrons) happy with how these DVDs have held up?
Should this be a priority for our department? Would it be better for all the video games to be in one collection, YA's? How would parents feel about adding video games?