Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wednesday Two's

I started with my surefire hit, Walking in the Jungle, which is one of our big books. The kids love the suspense and the sound effects and I really ham it up with dramatic play. We put on our pretend jungle hats, bug spray, sunscreen, boots, and take nets and binoculars and I repeat the refrain so everyone joins in the fun. Next, I read Pip & Squeak, which is rather bland. I tried it twice and while the pictures are great, the kids just didn't get into the text. Annie's Chair was fantastic and when both Annie and the dog are crying the kids are riveted. Both dog books--Desmond the Dog and Hunky Dory Ate It were popular and I matched up the fingerplay, "Rags the Dog" while we pretended to be puppies. The "Milkshake Song" always rocks and I passed out the egg shakers for it. The Wiggleworms version of "Row Your Boat" is my absolute favorite, and I introduce music time by playing the harmonica--THAT gets everyone's attention instantly! The flannel 5 little snowmen was a hit, and 2 more snow rhymes "Snow Angels" and "I'm a Little Snowman" rounded out the weird dog-snow hybrid theme. If you want me to demo the rhymes, let me know. Overall it was a great session.

No comments: