Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Always Wanting to Be First, I Am

It was really fun playing with our new department wiki. In the current context of both the brand new wiki and this blog...well, they feel like they could serve a lot of the same purposes. The wiki is more about organizing and sharing information that we might want to have saved, though, while a/our blog is more about "whoa, cool, check this out!"...anyway! The wiki's discussion feature would probably be better for dialoging with each other than keeping up with blog comments from each other, that's for sure.

I "improved" the wiki with some colors in the headers and added some images and made a new page, too [a page which wants your additions]. I wasn't quite sure what Shelley meant by making sure I link my new page, but I think I figured it out. I did wonder if, whether we kept this wiki up, if we'd want to all have a different login to keep track of who was changing/adding what? (I was looking at the "History" tab, see.)



* * * * * * *
I'm fairly familiar with Twitter, so forgive me if I don't create a new account and connect with anyone (been there! done that!). I did check out all of Shelley's suggested accounts, though, and that was a lot of fun. It made me realize that, as a "lurker," I'm sometimes put off by Twitter streams with tons and tons of @ messages and inter-tweeting communication. Makes me feel like I have to pick through for original content, and that I'm not in on the conversation (because, well, I'm not). Does that make any sense?

I think OPPL's Twitter is pretty darn good (and, nope, I'm no longer contributing to it, so that's not a pat on my own back).

* * * * * * *
I made sure to like OPPL's Facebook page, feeling a little doofy for not having done that before. And I love feed prompts listed in that Library Journal article that Shelley linked to. We should do a bit more "Hey, throw us back your take on this!" to our followers, I think. Put more "social" in our social media efforts.

* * * * * * *
I'm a huge GoodReads fan and agree with Shelley's take that it's more about sharing and reviewing books than Library Thing's more personal, organizational set-up. I haven't ever actually signed up with Library Thing (because I tend NOT to own a lot of books), so I just did. Like I was supposed to. Good Rory.

I'm not going to be converted away from GoodReads, but I did like/prefer some things about Library Thing. Like that it asks you what your preferred source of cataloging info is? And included links to local book events? But mostly, Library Thing seemed a bit clunky and slow and...sorry...like something catalogers would like.

* * * * * * *
Go answer something on Yahoo Answers, huh? With research? Um...that seems like a lot to ask at 5:05 pm. Am I learning enough and expanding my horizons enough if I just answer something FROM MY HEART? Seriously, I've always wondered how easy the interface was for responding to questions (or how, exactly, you find questions which need answered), so I did learn something! And I answered this (not admitting I was a librarian).

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I would really love to have some of that cake right now.

I was originally going to invite everyone to create their own logins for the wiki, but decided that everyone sharing would make the process move along faster. I agree, though, that if we decide to develop one, everyone having their own is the way to go!

I love the page you created, but while you linked it to the storytime page, it wasn't linked from anywhere. I made a link for it on the programming page, although there might be better places for it.

And considering that the Yahoo questions I've answered involve nail polish colors and bathing suit styles, I think answering from the heart is quite acceptable. ;)