Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wave of the future!

I find that I'm showing patrons our databases at least once a week (or more if it's heavy project time) and recently wondered why more now than before. My conclusion was that it's me, not our offerings, so I guess I'm on board! I also enjoy explaining why we can do this even if the teacher specifically says "no internets," which usually involves me saying to the parents "do you remember the periodical index? This is what it is now. Trust me, your teacher will accept this... and if they don't, tell them to call us."

I find the Biography area of the adult online tools to be the best, because it has bio info, but also articles of interest about the subject. It's come in handy lately for Orville Redenbacher (not even in the bio dictionary!!), George Halas and even Ruby Bridges (not in the encyclopedia of notable African-Americans!?!) I like the layout of Info Bits for kids, but find it's often too elementary for any research project that would go beyond our stacks.

No comments: